Thursday, November 1, 2007

In which Lesley loses her mind


Caitlin asked me to knit her something, and chose the Central Park Hoodie from Knitscene magazine. I've had the wool, a beautiful green from Cascade 220, bought and waiting for a while now. A Ravelry group, NaKniSweMo (or knit a sweater in the month of November) is giving me the kick start I need to get this piece up and running.

I'm making the small size, 32, but with the hood it is still an impressive amount of knitting for me to try in thirty days, including a major holiday. I'll consider it a victory if I have all the big pieces done and am left with only the edging or seaming left in 30 days.

On the book front, I read two very good books in October: Down River, a second novel by John Hart, and In the Woods, a debut by Tana French. Down River was set in North Carolina, the story of a man who left Salisbury after being tried and acquitted of murder. After returning at the request of a friend, more bad things begin to happen and of course suspicion falls on him.

In the Woods was quite compelling, though somewhat flawed. It was had two parallel mysteries, one past and one present. One large basic premise was a bit hard to swallow and the conclusion was ultimately rather frustrating, but she is a compelling writer and I will definitely look for her next book.

No comments: